Reference to another worksheet

  1. #1

    Angry Reference to another worksheet

    Assuming I have
    Sheet1!A1 with value 100
    Sheet2!B1 with "Sheet1" without cotes - the Sheet1 name

    In
    Sheet2!B2 I want the same value of Sheet1!A1

    Firs way
    =Sheet1!A1 and the result is 100

    But I want to refer Sheet1, in that formula, by its name typed in Sheet2!B1
    Then I tried fill in Sheet2!B2 this
    =Indirect(B1)!A1 but it gives error.

    HOW CAN I REFER SHEETS BY ITS NAMES TYPED IN ONE PARTICULAR SHEET??

    GRATIAS FOR HELP

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    =INDIRECT(B1&"!A1")

    Does that help?
    Ron

  3. #3
    Lowkey
    Guest

    RE: Reference to another worksheet

    Cradino,

    I don't think INDIRECT will serve your purpose if you always want Sheet2!B2
    I want the same value of Sheet1!A1 as you say below. The INDIRECT function
    will always refers to the contents of Sheet1!A1 regardless of the changes you
    make to Sheet1.

    The easiest solution is to select B1 on Sheet2, press = and then go to Sheet
    1, select A1 and hit enter. You could also cut and then paste special and
    choose from the options given, most likely "paste formula".

    Other than that, it sounds like you're describing some kind of code to the
    result of the cell in A1, like George. So that if you type in George in B1 it
    will result in the formula you named for Sheet1!A1. I don't know if that's
    possible.

    Otherwise, you'll have to be more clear.

  4. #4

    Thumbs up List sheets of a workbook

    Ron Coderre

    That's great.
    But now I want to paste my workbooksheet names in the first row of the first sheet and that formula in the seond row.

    Like this: sheet1!A1:sheet1A200 SheetNames
    Sheet2!A1 =INDIRECT(A1&"!A1") Right Filled till Sheet1!A200 That formula is great!!!!!!!!!!!

    And now the quastion: How can I automaticaly fill sheet1!A1:sheet1!A200 with MySheetNames????????????????????

    Best regards

  5. #5

    Smile List sheets of a workbook

    Lowkey
    Thanks to you too.

  6. #6
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    Ok...you're gonna love this: DOS!!

    Yes, you could write a program, but this is so easy:

    1)You need to know the complete path to your Excel files
    In my case: C:\ANALYSIS\

    2)Open a new text file and enter this text:
    dir/b c:\analysis\*.xls >> c:\mylist.txt

    Note: you'll need to replace my locations with yours

    3)Save that file to your desktop as ListXLFiles.BAT, then close it.

    4)Display your desktop and double click that file.

    5)In Excel, open c:\mylist.txt
    In the file import wizard, uncheck all delimiters and click [Finish]

    There's your list of filesl
    Now you can copy that list and Paste>Special>Transpose to the horizontal array of cells that you want to contain the list.

    Does that help?

    Ron

  7. #7
    Lowkey