Linked files - Caching of data

  1. #1

    Linked files - Caching of data

    I have s/s#1 which uses vlookup to locate data in a seperate file s/s#2, and returns the data to s/s#1. This is working ok.

    Assuming I have closed all files, and I open s/s#1 and select NO to update links, if I now change the data I am searching for the result is an error condition, (even if the data does actually exist in s/s#2).

    Some spreadsheets I have created have this problem and some don't. I suspect there is a setting which allows you to cache the data from the linked spreadsheet.

    Any suggestions?

    Scott

  2. #2

    Re: Linked files - Caching of data

    xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
    versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
    prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

    Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP11.phx.gbl

    Maybe it'll work for you.