Advanced use of IF

  1. #1

    Advanced use of IF

    I am trying to come up with a formula that does this.

    If A7 on worksheet '05-29' is equal to any of the cells in column A on worksheet 'notes' then give me the data in Column B on that same row.

    I assumed a basic IF formual like this =IF(A7=Notes!A1,Notes!B1,"") would work but it relies on the cells being in order everytime. In one week account ID 239 might not buy anything from us so I won't need his notes.

    I have wasted a lot of time doing this manually so I would be thrilled if someone could help.

    Thanks!
    Luke

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdoor Cover
    I am trying to come up with a formula that does this.

    If A7 on worksheet '05-29' is equal to any of the cells in column A on worksheet 'notes' then give me the data in Column B on that same row.

    I assumed a basic IF formual like this =IF(A7=Notes!A1,Notes!B1,"") would work but it relies on the cells being in order everytime. In one week account ID 239 might not buy anything from us so I won't need his notes.

    I have wasted a lot of time doing this manually so I would be thrilled if someone could help.

    Thanks!
    Luke
    Will this formula help you?

    =if(countif(Notes!$A$1:$A100,A7)>0,vlookup(A7,Notes!$A$1:$B$100,2,0),"")

    Regards.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  3. #3

    Thanks

    Worked like a charm

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Thank you for the feedback ... just glad that I can help.

    Regards.

  5. #5
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Advanced use of IF

    Hi Luke,

    Look in HELP for the VLOOKUP function.
    Pay attention to the description of the 4th argument of that function.

    "Backdoor Cover"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Advanced use of IF

    Hi

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A7,Notes!$A$1:$B$1000,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A7,Notes!$A$1:$B$
    1000,2,0))

    Arvi Laanemets

  7. #7
    bj