conversion formulas

  1. #1
    nicolina
    Guest

    conversion formulas

    An inventory/price per unit worksheet with formulas. I need to convert
    milliliter to ounces, etc. then the price per unit. With that number I need
    to estimate the cost of a product.
    Ex. 15ml of oil for $6.00,
    1/4 oz. of lotion for $9.00
    I will be combing these two products in with a couple of others.Say bottle
    and lid at .50 + .50) Trying to figure out what the cost is to make this
    product. Please Help me. Math was not my strongest. Layman's terms, If I
    may!
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    Hi Nicolina,

    First convert either of the one to the other system. Since I use the metric system, here's how to solve your problem.

    Oil:
    15 ml = $6.00
    cost per ml = 6.00/15 = $0.40

    Lotion:
    1/4 oz. of lotion for $9.00
    First convert oz to ml. Since we don't use oz here, a search on the net gave me
    1 oz (US) = 29.57353 ml
    Multipy 1/4 with the conversion rate
    =1/4*29.57353 = 7.39 ml (aprrox)
    7.39 ml = $9.00
    cost per ml = 9.00/7.39 = $1.217

    Now decide on the total quantity of your mixture, lets say 100 ml. Out of which you want 50% oil, and 50% lotion.
    Cost of oil = 50% * 100 * $1.217 = $20.00
    Cost of lotion = 50% * 100 * $0.40 = $60.87

    Total cost = $80.87

    Mangesh

  3. #3
    Andy Wiggins
    Guest

    Re: conversion formulas

    Have you tried the CONVERT function?

    From the Help file:
    [It] converts a number from one measurement system to another. For example,
    CONVERT can translate a table of distances in miles to a table of distances
    in kilometers.

    If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and
    load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    --
    Andy Wiggins FCCA
    www.BygSoftware.com