Why do we start the formula with + or -

  1. #1

    Why do we start the formula with + or -

    Hi everybody,

    I have noticed that some people start the formula with + or - after equal sign e.g. =+if(...

    My question is: what is the main purpose of doing that >> Please, I need a detailed answer with some examples if available.

    Thank you,,
    Last edited by Jim333; 06-04-2005 at 06:05 AM.

  2. #2
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: Why do we start the formula with + or -

    I think it is strictly a "carry-over" from individuals "Lotus-Days".
    Excel didn't embrace the feature/requirement.
    HTH

    "Jim333" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Why do we start the formula with + or -

    Homework?

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Why do we start the formula with + or -

    WE don't. Only 123 users do it. Happy homework

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  5. #5
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: Why do we start the formula with + or -

    hope i'm not raining on someones homework. it is a carryover from lotus 123.
    if you enter +sum(A1:A5), excel automatically throws in the = sign, but
    leaves the + sign.

  6. #6

    Re: Why do we start the formula with + or -

    When we switched from Lotus 123 to Excel, there were a lot of 123 users who
    couldn't break that habit.

    (I find it irritating, too <vbg>.)

    Another one that lots of lotus users did (ok a few, ok just one!) was:

    =sum(a1+b1)
    or even worse:
    =+sum(a1+b1)

  7. #7
    Thank you soooooo much for all

  8. #8
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Why do we start the formula with + or -

    No, more than "just one", I'm sure.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Myrna Larson