Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

  1. #1

    Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    First question answered on another thread. SORRY!!

    Second, the columns in first row in sheet 2 is full, so I also need to continue same formula on the next sheet, sheet 3 but have it continue copying to same column on Sheet 2. How do i make this possible?

    Formula is now =OFFSET($B$1,0,(ROW()-3)*2)

    Thanks!

    TKL
    Last edited by KatyLady; 06-05-2005 at 11:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =OFFSET(B$1,,(ROW(1:1)-1)*2)

    Copied down will return:

    =B1
    =D1
    =F1
    =H1
    =J1
    =L1
    etc
    etc

    > Second, first time ever but the columns in first row in sheet 2 is
    > full, so I also need to continue same formula on the next sheet, sheet
    > 3 but have it continue copying to same column on Sheet 2. How do i make
    > this possible?

    Hmmm.....

    Not following that!

    Biff

    "KatyLady" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    One way to try ..

    Assuming data is to be extracted from the sheets below in sequence, and only
    from alternate cells in row1 within each sheet starting from B1, i.e. from
    B1, D1, F1, H1, J1, ... :

    Sheet2's B1:IV1
    Sheet3's B1:IV1
    Sheet4's B1:IV1
    Sheet5's B1:IV1
    etc

    Put in any starting cell in Sheet2* (other than within row1):

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet"&INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/128)+2&"!B1"),,MOD(ROWS($A$1:
    A1)-1,128)*2)

    *starting cell can actually be in any sheet, not neccessarily Sheet2

    Copy down as desired

    Outputs will be returned as desired, in 128 consecutive rows per sheet, in
    the sheetname sequence as above, i.e.: Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4, etc

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    Max

    "Biff" wrote:
    > > Second, first time ever but the columns in first row in sheet 2 is
    > > full, so I also need to continue same formula on the next sheet, sheet
    > > 3 but have it continue copying to same column on Sheet 2. How do i make
    > > this possible?

    > Not following that!

    Think the OP wants the formula to continue extracting from the first cell in
    next sheet, i.e. from Sheet3's B1:IV1, once the last, righmost cell within
    Sheet2's B1:IV1 is exhausted. And to continue thereof in this fashion from

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    Hmmm....

    I don't know!

    If that's what they want, then why are they essentially transposing row 1
    every othe cell?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Max

    "Biff" wrote:
    > I don't know!
    > If that's what they want, then
    > why are they essentially transposing row 1 every othe cell?

    I don't know why the OP wants it this way either <g>,
    but that's the way I interp'ed that part of the post/request literally ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    > Outputs will be returned as desired, in 128 consecutive rows per sheet, in
    > the sheetname sequence as above, i.e.: Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4, etc

    Just some clarifications: What the above means is that if we put the formula
    in say, Sheet2's B3, and then copy down, we'll be extracting the same
    returns as having:

    In B3: =Sheet2!B1
    In B4: =Sheet2!D1
    In B5: =Sheet2!F1
    In B129: =Sheet2!IT1
    In B130: =Sheet2!IV1
    In B131: =Sheet3!B1 (< auto-transition to Sheet3)
    In B132: =Sheet3!D1
    In B257: =Sheet3!IT1
    In B258: =Sheet3!IV1
    In B259: =Sheet4!B1 (< auto-transition to Sheet4)
    In B260: =Sheet4!D1
    and so on ..

    Should you get #REF! when you copy down, that probably means either the
    sheetname(s) doesn't exist yet, or the actual sheetname(s) doesn't match
    with ones evaluated by the INDIRECT (perhaps a stray space in the actual
    sheetname ?). The assumed sheetnames are: Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4, etc (Note
    that there's no space between the word "Sheet" and the number. Case is not
    important.)

    Adapt to suit ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  8. #8
    Biff,

    It's going to be something like this

    =OFFSET(PRODUCTS2!$B$1,0,(ROW()-3)*2)

    but it is returning
    0
    in the cells
    when i have text in

    B1
    D1
    F1

    It's an order form, going down first column is all the categories, going down the first row is the categories, underneath is the description, and in between each category is the sales price of description....Example: (SP=sales price & C = Column ) I left out the descriptions and the $ amount. See how I want the cat to follow going down 1st column but not have the $SP going down the first column.

    C-A1 C-B1 C-C1 C-D1 C-E1 C-F1 C-G1 C-H1
    Cat ALBUSSON $SP ALBERTSON $SP ALEXANDRA $SP BLOCK
    ALBUSSON
    Albertson
    Alexandra
    Block

    Hope that helps and doesn't confuse it more. Thanks!

    KL

    Quote Originally Posted by Max

  9. #9
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    If this is in Sheet2, A1:H1
    > Cat ALBUSSON $SP ALBERTSON $SP ALEXANDRA $SP BLOCK

    and you want this extracted from A2 down:
    > ALBUSSON
    > Albertson
    > Alexandra
    > Block

    Put in A2 (the earlier suggested formula in the other branch):

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet"&INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/128)+2&"!B1"),,MOD(ROWS($A$1:
    A1)-1,128)*2)

    Copy down

    The formula will work all when copied all the way down as explained in the
    other branch of the thread, extracting from (once Sheet2's B1:IV1 is
    exhausted): Sheet3's B1:IV1, then from Sheet4's B1:IV1, etc as per your
    original post's 2nd part request.

    (I'm not sure why you didn't try it earlier or why it didn't work for you if
    you did)

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  10. #10
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    Typo: Line
    > The formula will work all when copied all the way down

    should read as:

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  11. #11
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Questions on copying from one sheet to the other and coping every other cell.

    > =OFFSET(PRODUCTS2!$B$1,0,(ROW()-3)*2)

    The above which uses "ROW()" is sensitive to the cell you're putting the
    formula in, and copying down from (assuming it is the starting cell's
    formula)

    Maybe try this as the starting cell formula instead, and copy down:
    =OFFSET(Products2!$B$1,0,(ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)*2)

    The above will extract properly when you copy down, but only until the last,
    rightmost cell in Products2!$B$1:IV1 (after copying down 128 rows, you'll
    exhaust the range in the sheet and you'll get only #REF!)

    If you want it to continue beyond to extract from the next sheet in turn,
    i.e. Products3!$B$1:IV1, then from Products4!$B$1:IV1, and so on ...
    try this formula instead in the starting cell, and copy down:

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Products"&INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/128)+2&"!B1"),,MOD(ROWS($A
    $1:A1)-1,128)*2)

    (Formula is the same as the earlier one, but amended to suit your actual?
    sheetnames: Products2, Products3, Products4 instead of the assumed: Sheet2,
    Sheet3, Sheet4, etc
    --
    Rgds
    Max