conditional cell shading when a change occurs

  1. #1

    conditional cell shading when a change occurs

    Hi! Just recently joined this newsgroup, in hope that I can find an answer to my problem. I am generally familiar with Excel, but need some help on this particular problem.

    I want to apply a format where whenever the number in a column differs from the one previous to it, a cell shading color change is applied.

    For example, you have a column of numbers in Excel:

    5 (cell shading color change applied)
    2 (cell shading color change applied)
    3 (cell shading color change applied)
    etc....

    It doesn't matter what color is used, just so that it is applied whenever there is a change from the previous number.

    There has got to be an easy answer to this.... thanks so much in advance for any help!
    Last edited by zooeyhall; 06-06-2005 at 11:42 AM.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: conditional cell shading when a change occurs

    One way:

    Select A2 down to the end of your data:

    CF1: =A2<>A1
    Format1: Patterns/<whatever color>