single text cells combines in new text cell

  1. #1

    single text cells combines in new text cell

    I have searched and searched for what I believe is really simple formula, but either I dont know what to search for or what I want to do is so elementary it should just be know. Anyway here is what I need to do.

    a1=tom
    a2=smith
    a3="that car belongs to ";a1;a2

    I need this to be universal so the formula works on column 3 of any row and will give me the result for that row.

    Anybody have a link or suggestion

    Carter

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: single text cells combines in new text cell

    One way:

    C3: ="that car belongs to " & A1 & " " & A2

  3. #3

    Re: single text cells combines in new text cell

    And just to add to J.E.'s response...

    If you have dates or times or money that needs to be formatted:

    ="that car belongs to " & A1 & " " & A2 & " and cost " & text(a3,"$#,##0.00")
    & " when they bought it on: " & text(a4,"mm/dd/yyyy") & "."