Using advanced filter to search for criteria in a list

  1. #1

    Using advanced filter to search for criteria in a list

    6/6/2005 12:30 DBAB Media VIA.B
    6/6/2005 14:00 DBAB Media SFA YBTVA
    6/6/2005 14:30 DBAB Media CMCSA CMCSK HHS
    6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media ADVO PIXR SGA
    6/6/2005 15:30 DBAB Media VCI WON

    I am trying to use advanced filter to search for a specific group of stocks (eg. I1:I100) in columns D-F and return only the stocks on my list. eg. PIXR is on my list so the filter would return:

    6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media PIXR

    I am having problems getting the criterion correct. Can this be done with advanced filter or is there an easier way?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Using advanced filter to search for criteria in a list

    You can use an Advanced Filter to return any row that contains PIXR, but
    not just the column that contains PIXR. So, the result of your filter
    would be:

    6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media ADVO PIXR SGA

    In the criteria area, leave the heading cell empty.
    In the cell below, enter a formula that will check the stock columns, e.g:

    =COUNTIF(E2:G2,$N$2)>0

    where cell N2 contains the stock that you want to find.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List