Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subroutine

  1. #1
    tomwashere2
    Guest

    Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subroutine

    I have a subroutine (macro) that automatically pulls data from various
    workbooks. I would like to auto close each workbook when I am done
    extracting the data.

    The vba code to do this according to Excel help is:

    Workbooks("BOOK1.XLS").Close SaveChanges:=False

    The code works when I specify the name such as "BOOK1.XLS" . The problem is
    that the file names vary depending on dates etc. So I assign a variable to
    identify the names each time it is passed through the loop and incremented.
    Therefore the name of each stays the same through a string variable named
    "path3" as follows:

    While LDR <= DOM

    Workbooks.Open Filename:=path3
    ' extract
    Selection.RemoveSubtotal
    Range("A2:O2").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Windows("RwMTD.xls").Activate
    Sheets("MTD Data").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("A1").Select

    ' This would be the point at which I would want to close the (Path3) file

    ' LDR Value
    LDR = LDR + 1
    If LDR < 0 Or LDR > 31 Then
    MsgBox ("Please enter a valid number for the day of month i.e.(1-31)")
    End
    Else
    If LDR > 0 And LDR < 10 Then
    LDR = "0" & LDR
    Else
    LDR = LDR
    path2 = "\rpt." & Year & "." & month2 & "." & LDR & ".xls"
    path3 = path1 & path2
    ' end extract

    Wend

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subroutine

    i think there is an issue with path3. it is the complete path right?
    (C:\temp\xyz.xls). to close the workbook, i believe you'll need to separate
    the workbook name from the rest of the path.

    x = Split(path3, "\", -1, vbTextCompare)
    Workbooks(x(UBound(x))).Close savechanges:=False

    Or, set an object variable = to the file you opened (lets say WkBk) and use

    WkBk.Close SaveChanges:=False

  3. #3
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subroutine

    How can tomwashere2 refer to Path3 before he gets to the code where it is
    assigned. Isn't it = "" in the first iteration?

    By the way, I love Split, I never knew about it.

    B.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subrouti

    I figured he posted only a portion of the code and had already defined path3
    for the first iteration. He did say he tried the close method with the
    specific filename and it worked, so it must have been defined somewhere.

    Split and Join are nice for separating paths from filenames.

    On the filename issue, he could also capture the filename right after
    opening the file

    x = activeworkbook.name
    workbooks(x).close savechanges:=false

    Hopefully, this'll post w/o "We're sorry........" (fingers crossed)

  5. #5
    tomwashere2
    Guest

    Re: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subrouti

    To JMB and Will Benson

    Thank you Thank YOU!!!

    This saves me from Workbook cluttering.

    One Last Question for you guys:

    Is there a way to auto answer to the follow up question that Excel furnishes
    with each closed file. And that question is, "Would you like to save the
    information on the clipboard?"...

    My answer would of course be no.

  6. #6
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subrouti

    i would suggest trying the following. you can disable excels messages with

    application.displayalerts = false

    before your code that generates the message
    and at the end of your code

    application.displayalerts = true

    this is also good for deleting sheets (and suppressing the "are you sure")
    as well as closing a workbook and suppressing ("do you want to save").

    just make sure to turn it back on if you normally place any reliance on
    those safety nets

  7. #7

    Please post the complete code

    Have a similar problem and will appreciate if you post the complete code

  8. #8
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subrouti

    for the object variable? right after you open a workbook, it becomes the
    activeworkbook.

    Const Path As String = <your path>
    Dim WkBk As Workbook

    < your code >

    Workbooks.Open Filename:=Path
    Set WkBk = ActiveWorkbook

    <your code>

    WkBk.Close SaveChanges:=False (or True)

  9. #9
    tomwashere2
    Guest

    Re: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subrouti

    Thanks again.

    I actually used your suggestions for Alerts = False
    and I also split the filepath name string from the directory part of the
    pathname in order to be able to close the variable file name.

    These were useful suggestions that will save me from workbook cluttering
    from the various files that I pull.

    Below is a copy of the VBA code for those who had requested it:

    Sub MTDMcr()
    '
    ' MTDMcr Macro
    ' Macro recorded 4/5/2005 by *****'

    Dim userNT, path1, path2, path3, month3, month2, LDR As String
    Dim Year, month, DOM, Cbreak As Integer

    userNT = InputBox("Enter your Windows NT username", "")
    Year = InputBox("Enter the 4 digit year as integer", "")
    month = InputBox("Enter the month as integer", "")
    DOM = InputBox("MTD to run for what day of the month?", "")
    LDR = InputBox("For what day did you run the report last? If you had not
    run it for this month, enter 0", "")
    Cbreak = 0

    Select Case month
    Case Is = 1
    month2 = "01"
    month3 = "January"
    Case Is = 2
    month2 = "02"
    month3 = "February"
    Case Is = 3
    month2 = "03"
    month3 = "March"
    Case Is = 4
    month2 = "04"
    month3 = "April"
    Case Is = 5
    month2 = "05"
    month3 = "May"
    Case Is = 6
    month2 = "06"
    month3 = "June"
    Case Is = 7
    month2 = "07"
    month3 = "July"
    Case Is = 8
    month2 = "08"
    month3 = "August"
    Case Is = 9
    month2 = "09"
    month3 = "September"
    Case Is = 10
    month2 = "10"
    month3 = "October"
    Case Is = 11
    month2 = "11"
    month3 = "November"
    Case Is = 12
    month2 = "12"
    month3 = "December"
    Case Else ' For Invalid Entries
    MsgBox ("Please enter a valid month no. (1 - 12)")
    End ' End Program
    End Select

    ' LDR Value
    If LDR = 31 Then
    LDR = LDR
    Else
    LDR = LDR + 1
    End If

    If LDR < 0 Or LDR > 31 Then
    MsgBox ("Please enter a valid number for the day of month i.e.(1-31)")
    End
    Else
    If LDR > 0 And LDR < 10 Then
    LDR = "0" & LDR
    Else
    LDR = LDR

    path1 = "C:\Documents and Settings\" & userNT & "\My Documents\Adherence
    Rpts\" & month3 & "\"
    path2 = "ADH" & Year & "." & month2 & "." & LDR & ".xls"
    path3 = path1 & path2

    While Cbreak < 2 And LDR <= DOM

    If LDR = 31 Then
    Cbreak = Cbreak + 1 ' Allow to run day 31 once
    End If
    ' extract
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=path3
    Selection.RemoveSubtotal
    Range("A2:O2").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Windows("RwMTD.xls").Activate
    Sheets("MTD Data").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("A1").Select

    'remember to close each one after use
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Workbooks(path2).Close SaveChanges:=False
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

    If LDR = 31 Then
    LDR = LDR
    Else
    LDR = LDR + 1 ' LDR Value increment
    End If
    If LDR = 31 Then
    Cbreak = Cbreak + 1 ' Break control
    End If

    If LDR > 0 And LDR < 10 Then 'LDR format control
    LDR = "0" & LDR
    Else
    LDR = LDR
    End If

    path2 = "ADH" & Year & "." & month2 & "." & LDR & ".xls"
    path3 = path1 & path2
    ' end extract
    Wend

    ' Remove Sentinel from RwMTD2 file and redo Subtotals for MTD
    Sheets("Subtotals").Select
    Cells.Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Range("A1").Select
    Sheets("MTD Data").Select
    Cells.Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Subtotals").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("A2"), Order1:=xlAscending,
    Key2:=Range("C2") _
    , Order2:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:= _
    False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
    Range("a1").Select
    Selection.Subtotal GroupBy:=1, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(8, 9,
    10, _
    11, 12, 13, 14, 15), Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False,
    SummaryBelowData:=True
    ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=2
    Range("A1").Select

    MsgBox ("Same this file using the same name. Close all others without saving")
    End Sub

  10. #10
    Thank you!!!

  11. #11
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: Auto Excel workbook close: save= false during an auto subrouti

    you're welcome. i'm glad it helped.