How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

  1. #1
    MFreeman
    Guest

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    =mid(A1,5,255)

    where A1 is your data and 255 <= the length of data in the cell.

    HTH

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

    =MID(A1,5,255)
    If the result is numeric for sure, you can use
    =1*MID(A1,5,255)
    or
    =MOD(A1,100000)

    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

    Amendment to previous response. the cells have more than 255 characters.
    That's the max column width.

  5. #5
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

    =mid(a1,4,30)

    If your results are more than 30 characters long, you'll have to change
    that. The maximum column width is 255 characters.

  6. #6
    Aladin Akyurek

    MFreeman wrote:
    > How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

    =REPLACE(A2,1,4,"")

  7. #7
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

    If A1 contains text THEREFORE YOU and the formula in B2 is
    =MID(A1,5,LEN(A1)-4) then EFORE YOU is returned.

    HTH Rob

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

    I guess you didn't try the REPLACE formula.

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.

  9. #9
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

    By "remove", if you mean that you WANT the first four characters "only",
    then use......

    =LEFT(A1,4)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3