Replaceable parameter in formula

  1. #1

    Replaceable parameter in formula

    I need to build a spreadsheet that will reference the same cell in about 300 workbooks (all Sheet1). I would like to build a list of the workbook names in the first column, then write a formula, that I could copy down, which would pick up the worksheet names.
    For example:

    File Name Formula
    8801.xls =[ ]Sheet1!$a$1
    8802.xls
    8803.xls

    How can I get the file name in the first column into the formula in the second column, without all of it converting to text? In effect, I'm trying to set up links with external files without opening each of the files and manually linking.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,880
    The INDIRECT function can be used to generate the formulas. However, in theory, the INDIRECT function can only retrieve values from an open workbook. I once downloaded an add-in from somewhere that had an updated INDIRECT function that claimed to be able to retrieve data from open and closed workbooks, but I don't remember where I got it from.

    HTH

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Replaceable parameter in formula

    try
    if book names are in Column A starting row 3
    =indirect("[" & A3 & "]Sheet1!A1)

  4. #4
    bj

  5. #5