Count help

  1. #1
    WOLLAM
    Guest

    Count help

    Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'll give a shot. Is there a
    function in Excel to count if a value appears in a cell, for example, 3 times
    in succession? For example:

    Accepted Bid
    Tom Y Y N Y Y Y N N N N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y
    John Y Y Y Y N N N Y N N N N N Y Y Y N N N

    Is there a function that will tell me how many times Tom or John accepted or
    refused a bid, on successive days? I am guessing it will have something to
    do with the 'Count' function but have been unable to find an answer in Excel
    help. In the above example John accepted 3 times in row twice, 5 times in a
    row once, refused 4 times in a row once. Tom accepted 3x once, 4x once, and
    refused 3x twice, 5x once.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Hello
    Use the countif function. You will want to select your range and then in the criteria box enter "Y" if you want to count the number of times the bid was accepted.

  3. #3
    WOLLAM
    Guest

    Re: Count help

    I think a better way to consider what I'm looking for might be: how many
    times was a bid accepted three consecutive days (or four days, five days or
    'x' number of days). The countif does help though, thank you.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    Suppose the series of Ns and Ys is entered in the range B1:T1 (as er your example), then to count 3 Ys, use the formula:

    =FIND(("N"&REPT("Y",3)&"N"),(B1&C1&D1&E1&F1&G1&H1&I1&J1&K1&L1&M1&N1&O1&P1&Q1&R1&S1&T1))

    Mangesh

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Count help

    Hi!

    Try this:

    For "Tom".....

    A1 = Tom
    B1:T1 = Y Y N Y Y Y N N N N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y

    Enter this formula in B2:

    =IF(C1<>B1,1,"")

    Enter this formula in C2 and copy across to T2:

    =IF(D1<>C1,COLUMNS($B1:C1)-IF(COUNT($B2:B2),LOOKUP(2,1/ISNUMBER($B2:B2),COLUMN($B1:B1)-1),0),"")

    To count the number of times Tom said NO twice (or, whatever):

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($B$1:$T$1="N"),--($B$2:$T$2=2))

    To count the numbr of times Tom said YES 3 times (or, whatever):

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($B$1:$T$1="Y"),--($B$2:$T$2=3))

    >In the above example John accepted 3 times in row twice, 5 times in a
    > row once, refused 4 times in a row once. Tom accepted 3x once, 4x once,
    > and
    > refused 3x twice, 5x once.

    I think you have some of these backwards.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...