how can I activate a 'numbers' duplicating prompt (help)

  1. #1
    Earl
    Guest

    how can I activate a 'numbers' duplicating prompt (help)

    Has anyone come across this before?
    I am listing a series of telephone numbers in an excell spreadsheet, and I
    do not wish to duplicate any of the numbers already on my list, is there a
    numbers prompt that someone knows about-they can kindly pass onto me as a
    tip? (just like when using the letter or word prompts in an excell spread
    sheet)

    pls email: [email protected]

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: how can I activate a 'numbers' duplicating prompt (help)

    Earl, see if this will do what you want,

    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: how can I activate a 'numbers' duplicating prompt (help)

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:29:02 -0700, "Earl" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone come across this before?
    >I am listing a series of telephone numbers in an excell spreadsheet, and I
    >do not wish to duplicate any of the numbers already on my list, is there a
    >numbers prompt that someone knows about-they can kindly pass onto me as a
    >tip? (just like when using the letter or word prompts in an excell spread
    >sheet)
    >
    >pls email: [email protected]

    You can use data validation for this function.

    Select the range of cells where you might be entering phone numbers. For
    example, Column A, with A1 as the active cell.

    Data/Validation/Settings
    Allow: Custom

    Formula: =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1

    Then enter whatever Input message and Error alert message (and type) you wish.

    --ron

  4. #4
    Earl,

    If you are looking for something that will eliminate duplicate data then here is how you can do it the easily.

    1. Insert a blank column on the right side of the "Telephone Number" column.
    2. Sort the data by the column in which you have these numbers.
    (Note: select the complete lines before sorting, to avoid data from corrupting.)

    3. Now, go to Data -- Filters and click "Advance Filter".

    4. Click "OK" on the message display.

    5. In "List Range", select the data from which you need to extract only unique data.

    6. Select "Copy to another location" and click in the adjecent cell in the blank column inserted earlier (Point 1.) (i.e. If your telephone numbers starts from B2:B1000, then click C2.)

    7. Select "Unique records Only". and click ok

    Sometimes the first number is copied twice in the first two columns.

    Hope this helps.

    If this does not help then mail me the sheet on [email protected]

    sam