SUMIF function not working

  1. #1

    SUMIF function not working

    This is my second post and the first post yielded another equation that didnt work. Im trying to add up vacation days starting in jan and ending in dec. It needs to only sum the total days taken up until the current days date. The problem Im having is I cannot get the SUMIF function to allow me to insert less than or equals to. Here is what I have so far.

    =SUMIF(I4:BJ4,I4:BJ4<=$F$2,I5:BJ5)

    I4:BJ4 is the titles of the date columns
    $F$2 is the current date
    I5:BJ5 are the columns I want to add when the current date is less than or equal to the column titles. Meaning SUM only up until the current date in that particular row.

    Thanks for you help.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    use this formulae

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(I4:BJ4<=$F$2),I5:BJ5)

  3. #3
    I tried using that formula but it didnt work either. Its kind of hard to explain what I am trying to do. Any help is appreciated.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Paste sample data here, for clear understanding of your question.

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF function not working

    =SUMIF($I$4:$BJ$4,"<=" & $F$2,I5:BJ5)

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    "CarFreek" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    I must not be conveying the proper info. That equation you posted back is the format I need but its not giving the right number of days left. Thank you very much for the help. I guess I will just have to play with it till I get it right. Thanks again.

    Eddie

  8. #8
    I also tried another function to do the same job as the SUMIF I have been asking questions on. I tried an HLOOKUP with a SUM at the beginning. I couldnt get that to work either. Any ideas?

    =SUM(I5: (=HLOOKUP($F$2, I4:BJ230,H5,TRUE)

    This is the other way I tried to do it but it wouldnt work either.

    Eddie

  9. #9
    Valued Forum Contributor
    maybe your "dates" are not dates, but rather text. If so, tr using datevalue function

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(datevalue(I4:BJ4)<=datevalue($F$2)),I5:BJ5)
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  10. #10
    Ive been working on this for two days and still havent gotten anywhere. This is the last piece that needs to be done on the spreadsheet. Nothing seems to work the way I need it too. The only time I got close was when I was shown how to input less than or equals to in but that is still off by 5. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks to all who helped.

    Eddie

  11. #11
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF function not working

    or post a workbook somewhere on the net, not here, where we can virus check
    it.

    RP

  12. #12
    Matt
    Guest

    RE: SUMIF function not working

    Thanks so much for this post - it solved my problem! We were trying to
    referrence a cell as the criteria in a SUMIF function and kept getting an
    answer of 0. We had to add the $ before the referrence to make it work.
    Appreciate the tip.

  13. #13
    Bernie Deitrick

  14. #14