charting different tpes of lumber on a list. (SEE PIC)

  1. #1

    charting different tpes of lumber on a list. (SEE PIC)

    http://www.digitaluprising.net/site/...l_untitled.JPG

    The above is a lumber list i am using... I have many different types of lumber in column "M" such at bms, sill, plate, studs, etc. I want to be able to graph the amount of boardfeet on each different ype of lumber. So basically i'm looking to auto sort and combine the different types to eventually have one bulk amount of bms, one bulk amount of plate, etc. The board footage is calculated on column "I"
    Thanks!

    You know, even if there is a way not to have to sort it, but just for it to recognize that all board footage in a row thats usage is sill, is to be different then all board footage under rows with plate.

    Thanks again fellas.

    Is this possible?

  2. #2
    you know, on second thought, i know this is charting, worksheet functions is my next stop.

    Anyway, i thought about it, and instead of sorting the list,
    are there cells i could create a functio in to sum the total numbers of the rows that have a certain type of lumber...

    like, sum of rows in colum "X" if column "y" = sill ???
    and have it only add the rows with certain label.

    Thaks guys!

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    Re: charting different tpes of lumber on a list. (SEE PIC)

    The sumproduct function will work for you
    =sumproduct(--(Y1:Y1000=A1),X1:X1000)
    if you have the product you want to sum up in A1
    note in sumproduct you can't use entire columns Y1:Y10000 is OK, but Y:Y is
    not. and the arrays in eac section must be the same size.

    or you could use the Sumif function
    =sumif(Y:Y,"Sill",X:X)

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: charting different tpes of lumber on a list. (SEE PIC)

    This could be a job for a pivot table. Here's a brief intro on my site,
    written by Debra Dalgleish:

    and some links, which wouldn't have been included if they weren't helpful:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotlinks.htm

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5

    Talking

    in terms of the sumif funtion, that will actually work great for my purposes.
    Now would there also be a way to extend that funtion to a large amount of sheets? I have sheets that start with 01, and can go all the way to 99. so would anyone happen to know a line i can add to "=SUMIF(M:M,"Sill",I:I)" to add up all the sheets?
    Thanks!

  6. #6
    *bump*

  7. #7