code to check a: drive has a disk in

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England

    code to check a: drive has a disk in

    hi

    How do i ensure that the user has put a disk in the drive. I have an msgbox which pops up telling them to put a disk in before contiuning however if their is no disk in it throughs out a debug.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    This worked for me.

    Sub test()

    On Error GoTo MY
    MyNAme = Dir("A:\")
    Exit Sub

    MY:
    MsgBox "Please insert disk in A:"

    End Sub

    Mangesh

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England
    that worked but how do i loop that until there is a disk in there?

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    Again, this worked for me:

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

    ny:
    a = test
    If a = 1 Then
    MsgBox "Insert disk"
    GoTo ny

    Function test()
    On Error GoTo my
    test = Dir("A:\")
    Exit Function

    my:
    test = 1

    End Function

    Mangesh

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England
    i am having problems trying to implement within my code because of the function could you tell me abit more about functions?

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    In your code, when you want to check the A: part, simply use:

    ny:
    a = test
    If a = 1 Then
    MsgBox "Insert disk"
    GoTo ny
    End If

    When your code is over, put the function in the earlier post.

    Mangesh

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England
    i did that however when I put the disk in is debugs with type missmatch and highlights if a=1 then part

    when i move of a it shows it is ""

    if i have a file on the disk it shows the files name any ideas?

  8. #8
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: code to check a: drive has a disk in

    Here is another idea that uses the "IsReady" property to tell if the drive
    has a disk. I included an example of using "DriveExists" as some computers
    (ie notebooks) do not have an A: drive.

    Sub YourMainCode()
    'Your code....then
    Do While Not Check
    MsgBox "Insert Disk in A"
    Loop
    ' Has disk, so continue with my code...
    ' ....etc
    End Sub

    Function Check() As Boolean
    Const A_Drive As String = "A:\"

    With CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    If .DriveExists(A_Drive) Then
    Check = .GetDrive(A_Drive).IsReady
    Else
    ' Your code here if A: Drive does not exists...
    ' Something like...
    MsgBox "No A:\ drive detected"
    End If
    End With
    End Function

    HTH :>)

    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England
    thanks for thank however i know the user has an A: drive I just need to know how to check if the disk is in anf if not bring out an error message and do so until a disk has been inserted.