show month number as month name in Excel?

  1. #1
    Phil Hart
    Guest

    show month number as month name in Excel?

    I'm trying to format a field in an Excel Spreadsheet in such a way that it
    displays a month name rather than a month number.

    For Example, if a cell contains 8, I want the cell to show as August.

    Conditional formatting only allows me 3 levels of condtions and isn't
    therefore suitable.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Because of the way Excel interprets dates, the number 8, by itself, cannot be formatted as August. You can, however, use a helper column to generate your desired output. Place this formula in your helper column and Format>Custom>MMMM

    =(A1&"/01/2005")*1

    If A1=8, "August" is returned
    If A1=12, "December" is returned.

    Adjust the cell reference as needed.

    Good Luck.

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3

    Re: show month number as month name in Excel?

    I don't think you're gonna be able to use formatting for this.

    But you could use a helper cell:

    =date(2005,a1,1)
    if A1 contained the month number.

    Format this cell as MMMM
    and you can keep the value as a real date.

    or
    =text(date(2005,a1,1),"MMMM")
    If you want the text string for the month.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: show month number as month name in Excel?

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 06:43:14 -0700, Phil Hart <Phil
    [email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm trying to format a field in an Excel Spreadsheet in such a way that it
    >displays a month name rather than a month number.
    >
    >For Example, if a cell contains 8, I want the cell to show as August.
    >
    >Conditional formatting only allows me 3 levels of condtions and isn't
    >therefore suitable.

    What is the contents of the field?

    If the contents of the field is an Excel date, then use the Custom Format
    "mmmm".

    If the contents of the field is a number 1-12, one of the other solutions
    already posted should work, as would:

    =CHOOSE(A1,"January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August","September","October","November","December")

    --ron