how do i import multiple data sets at one time?

  1. #1
    chris_rip
    Guest

    how do i import multiple data sets at one time?

    I'm importing a bunch of data and I'm using the import external data command
    in the data menu. I click on my file and choose delimited and then add a
    space in the next screen. It turns out to be two columns of data. I do this
    10 times and was wondering if there is a way to import all the data at one
    time to simply save time. If anyone out there has any ideas I'd love to hear
    them. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Assuuming that the files are all of the same two-column format, in a DOS Command Prompt window:
    Copy File1.txt + File2.txt + File3.txt + File4.txt + File5.txt File2Import.txt
    and import the combined file

  3. #3
    chris_rip
    Guest

    Re: how do i import multiple data sets at one time?

    I tried this method and was able to bring in the numbers. The problem is
    that they come in on top of each other and also I need to put a space between
    the two numbers to make them in different columns. I tried to do a set of 10
    data files and I saw 2 sets directly on top of each, meaning that one set was
    A1 to A1000 and the other set was A1001 to A2000. Within each cell there are
    2 different numbers and I need them to be in separate columns. Also, I
    didn't see the other 8 sets of data. Ideally, I'd like to see them side by
    side 1:1000 with a space between each two columns. I'm not sure if this is
    possible using a dos command. Let me know if you have any other suggestions
    or need any other info. from me. Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    To put a space between the two numbers (ie, to place into separate columns) is done via the Data, Text-to-Columns option.

    However your data appears to be multiple variations (files) of the same information, ie that you have 1:1000 in the first file (followed by a number) and data relating to 1:1000 in a second (third and fourth) file.

    Try to copy the data (from Notepad) and paste into cell D1 (then G1 for the third file, then J1 for the fourth file etc.)

    Hope this produces the result you are looking for,
    . . . or is there a need to mix-and-match the data line items?