countif question

  1. #1
    Jennie
    Guest

    countif question

    hi all,
    I'd like to make a summary sheet that will count the total # of product
    within a certain month so if I type in the month # in one cell the # of total
    products will show up. for example

    month # product
    1 a
    1 b
    2 a

    so if I type in 1 for month, 2 will show up for products.
    thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 Excel
    Hi Jennie,

    assuming your months are in column A and your products are in column B

    in C1 put this formula

    =COUNTIF(A1:A100,D1)

    Now put the number of the month you want to count for into D1.

    This will only count the amount of times the month appears in column A.

    If you need help counting products per month or anything else come back

    HTH.
    Greg.

    "The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

  3. #3
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: countif question

    Hi Jennie

    This will count the dates that are in Jan in B1:B10

    =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(B1:B10)=1)*1)

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  4. #4
    Jennie
    Guest

    Re: countif question

    I'm looking for a generic formula that will work for any month, not just
    January. In place of month I tried to type in a range of cells (say A1:a10)
    and instead of "1" I tried to type in the cell where I will enter the month
    I'm interested in (say C1), but this gives me a #ref error.
    So I tried: =sumproduct((A1:A10(B1:B10)=c1)*c1)
    How can I make a generic formula that will work for any month?

  5. #5
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: countif question

    =sumproduct((A1:A10(B1:B10)=c1)*c1)

    use this

    =sumproduct((A1:A10(B1:B10)=C1)*1)
    don't use *c1

  6. #6
    Jennie
    Guest

    Re: countif question

    yeah I need help with counting products per month, if you don't mind helping
    me with that

  7. #7
    Jennie
    Guest

    Re: countif question

    sorry to bother you again, I'm still getting a #ref error with the new
    formula. is there another one I can use?

  8. #8
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: countif question

    Use the formula I posted and change it to this

    =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(B1:B10)=C1)*1)