Subtracting lunch breaks from different shift times

  1. #1

    Subtracting lunch breaks from different shift times

    I am trying to calculate the time spent by operators on the shop floor actually working on a product. I have the start times and end times but these times also include lunch breaks. Is there anyway in Excel I can actually subtract the time of the lunch break.

    For example if the operator works from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm I would like to subtract 30 min from it (12:00-12:30). If the operator works from 11:00 to 12:15 and then 12:30 to 2:00 pm I would like to subtract 15 min from it (12:00-12:15) and add the remaining time (12:30 -2:00). I have 1000 rows and doing this manually would take a lot of time as well as be prone to errors.

    Can anyone recommend some easy way to do this.............

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Let assume column A is starttime B IS endtime and C is lunchstarttime and column d is lunchendtime then number of hours worked is =(b-A)-(D-C)

    starttime endtime lunchstart lunchenD ANSWER
    10:00 16:00 12:30 12:45 5:45

    eg:=B2-A2-(D2-C2)

  3. #3
    Well this would be the case if all the lunch breaks fell within the total time worked.

    I was trying to work out a loop such that if the operation start time was during the lunch period it would subtract the time worked in the lunch break from the total time.Similarly if the job ended at, lets say 12:20 it would subtract 20 min from the total time as lunch starts at 12:00 pm

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    formula should be
    A1 B1 C1 D1 E1
    start end lunchstart lunch end answer
    9:00 12:00 11:45 12:15 2:45

    format the formulae cell as time
    formulae is
    =IF(C1>B1,B1-A1,IF(AND(C1<B1,D1>B1),B1-A1-(D1-B1),B1-A1-(D1-C1)))
    Last edited by anilsolipuram; 06-26-2005 at 10:28 AM.

  5. #5
    Summer
    Guest

    Re: Subtracting lunch breaks from different shift times

    Wait a minute. Is someone checking to see if we're awake here?

    How can someone clock out at 12:00 but yet have lunch from 11:45 to 12:15?
    The formula gives the wrong answer in this case. 3 hours less 30 minutes for
    lunch equals 2:30 worked, not 2:45. At least that's how it works in my
    sample xls.

    Am I the one who's mistaken here?
    --
    Summer (no valid email)

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Marc Fleury
    Guest

    Re: Subtracting lunch breaks from different shift times

    "Summer" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Wait a minute. Is someone checking to see if we're awake here?
    >
    > How can someone clock out at 12:00 but yet have lunch from 11:45 to
    > 12:15? The formula gives the wrong answer in this case. 3 hours less
    > 30 minutes for lunch equals 2:30 worked, not 2:45. At least that's how
    > it works in my sample xls.
    >
    > Am I the one who's mistaken here?

    Maybe the formula is only meant to track work done on a specific
    project, instead of work done all day. So it would be possible for the
    lunch time to either be contained either fully, partially, or not at
    all during the project work time.

    The formula that I would use it
    =IF(C1>B1,B1-A1,IF(D1<A1,B1-A1,((MAX(A1:D1)-MIN(A1:D1))-(D1-C1))))

    For
    A1 B1 C1 D1
    start end lunchstart lunchend

    translated:
    if lunchstart is later than project end, work time is just start to end
    if lunchend is earlier than project start, work time is just start to
    end
    otherwise, worktime is the difference between the earliest and latest
    times on the board, minus the time spent on lunch

    --
    Marc.

  7. #7
    Grand Anse, Grenada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Subtracting lunch breaks from different shift times

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fleury View Post
    "Summer" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Wait a minute. Is someone checking to see if we're awake here?
    >
    > How can someone clock out at 12:00 but yet have lunch from 11:45 to
    > 12:15? The formula gives the wrong answer in this case. 3 hours less
    > 30 minutes for lunch equals 2:30 worked, not 2:45. At least that's how
    > it works in my sample xls.
    >
    > Am I the one who's mistaken here?

    Maybe the formula is only meant to track work done on a specific
    project, instead of work done all day. So it would be possible for the
    lunch time to either be contained either fully, partially, or not at
    all during the project work time.

    The formula that I would use it
    =IF(C1>B1,B1-A1,IF(D1<A1,B1-A1,((MAX(A1:D1)-MIN(A1:D1))-(D1-C1))))

    For
    A1 B1 C1 D1
    start end lunchstart lunchend

    translated:
    if lunchstart is later than project end, work time is just start to end
    if lunchend is earlier than project start, work time is just start to
    end
    otherwise, worktime is the difference between the earliest and latest
    times on the board, minus the time spent on lunch

    --
    Marc.
    But what if you're not tracking the break and lunch times? So you know that based on hours worked a person should get 30 minutes or 1 hour of lunch and you would like to minus the lunch whether they take lunch or not?