+ Reply to Thread

multi function cells

multi function cells

hey, im having trouble with one of these functions that im trying to use....

im making a spreadsheet that needs two pages linked together and those functions need to be linked to another cell in one of them.

heres how the function looks so far

='[EXCEL TRIAL.xls]TOOLS'!$A$9016

but instead of the 9016 i need to to be more like another function

='[EXCEL TRIAL.xls]TOOLS'!$A$(=b1) or something around those lines so when i put a number in B1 on one sheet, it will change the cells being used in the opposite one.

if anyone can help me, you can send an email to [email protected]

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    If Excel trial.xls will be open when the calling worksheet is open, you can use the INDIRECT function.

im not too sure on how to use this INDIRECT command, if you could insert that into an example that would be great

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    INDIRECT function is pretty well documented in Excel help. Basically =INDIRECT('text') where text is the reference you want to pull up. 'text' can be a text literal, a reference to a cell containing text, or a combination. For example: =INDIRECT("'[book1.xls]sheet1'!" & a1) where A1 contaiins the text "$A$1".

thanks for the help mr shorty, im going to try that out right now, and ill repost if i have any other problems

ok, on this i dont know if its doing what i needed, so im goin to try to explain this better than the first time...

='[EXCEL TRIAL.xls]TOOLS'!$B$9016 i need a way to change that row position from another cell, the whole indirect stuff just was giving me one number or #ref errors.

i dont even know if its possible for there to be another simultaneous functions happening in that cell

='[EXCEL TRIAL.xls]TOOLS'!$B$a cell on sheet1

i tried the INDIRECT function with both sheets and i couldnt get it to work, but ill keep trying and if i figure it out ill post again.... wish me luck
    Last edited by kellerfro; 06-27-2005 at 03:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information