In Excel how can I assign values to a Yes or No question with IF

  1. #1
    craigscoop
    Guest

    In Excel how can I assign values to a Yes or No question with IF

    I am building a spreadsheeet, where If a cell has a "Yes" in it is is work
    ..75 and a "no" equals 0. I know a IF statement will help, but I don't know
    how.

    I also want Excel to caculate from an inputted date how many moths ago it
    was.

    Can anyone help?

    Craig

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Try this (adjust cell references as needed):

    =IF(A1="YES",0.75,0)

    This will return zero until A1 contains "YES"

    Does this work for you?

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how can I assign values to a Yes or No question with IF

    =IF(A2="Yes",.75,0)

    is all that you need

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how can I assign values to a Yes or No question with IF

    To answer your other question, =DATEDIF(D10,E10,"m"), where D10
    contains the earlier date and E10 the later date. A very useful
    function that has been in XL for several releases but remains
    mysteriously undocumented. Even more mysterious is that it was
    documented in 2000 help and the documentation was pulled in the next
    release!

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  5. #5
    craigscoop
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how can I assign values to a Yes or No question with

    This does answer my question to a point, but I just want it to run off todays
    date, is that possible?

    Craig

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: In Excel how can I assign values to a Yes or No question with

    Well, you can always replace the appropriate argument with todays date.
    To get today's date, type in 'todays date' (w/o the quotes) into XL
    help.