How do I sort a group of calculated cells in Excel?

  1. #1
    Benny cannot figure otu the solution
    Guest

    How do I sort a group of calculated cells in Excel?

    I've created a spreadsheet that I copy and paste information with people's
    last name and first name. I've created a table where I've recreated the list
    so they are first name, space and then last name. I need to sort the table
    into alphabetical order based on the first name. Using the Sort function
    doesn't change the order from what they what they were first created. What
    I'd like to do is build a function into the spreadsheet so that the table is
    automatically sorted after I copy and paste the list into the worksheet. Is
    this possible and can you show me how to do it?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256

    Sort by name

    Is this what you're looking for?

    The Input list is placed in column A2.
    =INDEX(List,MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF(List,"<="&List),ROWS(A2:$A$2)),COUNTIF(List,"<="&List),0))

    I have defined a name (Menu:Insert>Name>Define>...)
    List: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10000))

    Attached zip-file: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment...tid=3565&stc=1

    Ola Sandström
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #3
    Benny cannot figure otu the solution
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort a group of calculated cells in Excel?

    This solution is PERFECT! Not only does it solve the problem, it also
    includes information that let me include the formula in my own spreadsheet!

    Thank you very much!