excel shouldnt need a symbol before the first number in an equati

  1. #1
    stewart katz
    Guest

    excel shouldnt need a symbol before the first number in an equati

    Whilst excel accepts a number as positive when first entered, why when adding
    further entries in the cell do you have to enter a ' +' symbol before the
    first number.

    Surely it must be intuitive that this is going to be a formula, and that a +
    symbol could then be automatically programmed for.

    Supercalc (which I used for many years before even Microsoft appeared ) and
    Lotus 123 both had this feature, and this saved quite a lot of time and
    frustration

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...heet.functions

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: excel shouldnt need a symbol before the first number in an equati

    Actually it is = that must be used.
    For example =12+6 gives 18 but 12+6 gives text
    I sometimes wish 12+6 would be recognized as a formula but Excel needs the =
    to know that a formula is being entered
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: excel shouldnt need a symbol before the first number in an equati

    "Bernard Liengme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:#[email protected]...
    > 12+6 gives text

    That's what the OP is complaining about - in Lotus if you enter "12+6"
    (without the quotes), it automatically recognises it as numbers. Why Excel
    should recognise numbers as "text" is beyond me.

  4. #4
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good evening Stewart Katz

    Why not go to Tools > Options, Transistion and check the Transition Formula Entry box to emulate the 1-2-3 method of entering formulae?

    HTH

    DominicB