prevent overtyping cells

  1. #1
    Screen/Display size
    Guest

    prevent overtyping cells

    How do you prevent users overtyping cells?? I have created a form in Excel
    2003 for users to fill in. The form has enbedded formula. I have trie
    dplaying around with LOCK and PROTECT to stop users mistakenly overtyping the
    formulae and headings........ but without success.

    Can You help??

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    First, UNLOCK only the cells you want the user to enter data, all other cells should be locked.

    Next, choose Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet

    on the Protect Sheet dialog box, UNCHECK the Select Locked Cells option (enter a password if desired) and click OK.

    Users will now be able to only access unlocked cells, thus protecting all of your formular and informational cells.

    Good luck

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: prevent overtyping cells

    I've had to use Format Cells -> Protection and select LOCK or UNLOCK to
    define which cells are locked when the worksheet is protected (using TOOLS ->
    Protection)