combining adjacent columns

  1. #1

    combining adjacent columns

    o.k., thanks to a very helpful person scotto, i have been able to combine adjacent columns using the formula =A1&" "&B1 to populate column C, however i initially didnt finish my question...

    I need to combine the columns...each column is of equal length containing both letters and numerals..I've tried but to no avail..in simple words a formula probably
    will look something like this?? Both columns have over 2000 entries!!

    Arow#&" "&Brow#???

    Thanks,
    rooniwife
    Last edited by rooniwife; 07-05-2005 at 05:11 PM.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: combining adjacent columns

    I don't understand your problem.
    Could you re-phrase it?

    RD

    "rooniwife" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    clarification of prev.question

    o.k. i'll try this again...sorry my question was ambiguous..

    i need to combine two columns of equal length,over 2000 entries in both column A
    and column B. In order to create column C...in can do it individually by:

    C2 =A2&" "&B2
    C3 = A3&" "&C3
    C4 = A4&" "&C4
    C5 = A5&" "&C5

    you get the idea...surely there is a better way

    Thanks,
    rooniwife

  4. #4

    Re: combining adjacent columns

    Find the last cell in column C that will require the formula (say C2100).

    Hit Edit|Goto
    type:
    C2:C2100

    Now that range is selected.

    type this:
    =A1& " " & B2
    and hit ctrl-enter.

    Excel will fill each cell in that range with the correct formula.

    ===
    Alternatively, you could type the formula in C2 and use the autofill button on
    the bottom right corner of the activecell and drag it down your range. (It gets
    boring when you have 2000 rows to drag down, though.)