Conditional Calculation

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Colorado
    MS-Off Ver
    2000,2003,2007

    Conditional Calculation

    Is there a way to have a worksheet function perform a calculation based on the font color or interior color of a cell?

    Basically I'd like to have the function calculate the average of a range of cells and then be able to change the font color of certian entries in the range so that those would be excluded from the average calculation.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

  2. #2
    Gilles Desjardins
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Calculation

    Hi bhofsetz, Chip Pearson has this on his site, perhaps you can modify for
    an average?

    http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Hope this helps

    Gilles

    "bhofsetz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Calculation

    Only through the use of a VBA user defined function.

    Excel can't do this on its own.

    See Chip Pearson's site for code on summing, counting etc.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Colorado
    MS-Off Ver
    2000,2003,2007
    Gilles and Gord,
    Thanks for the information. I figured that I would end up having to use VBA but was hoping there might be a worksheet function that could handle this.

    I think I can modify the sumifbycolor to accomplish what I'm after and just have a button the user can click to recalcuate the sheet after they have changed any colors.

    Thanks again

  5. #5
    Gilles Desjardins

  6. #6