a fomula for an entire column

  1. #1
    Johnny
    Guest

    a fomula for an entire column

    I need to set up a formula for an entire column, not by inserting a
    formula on each cell of that column (I've heard that it is possible, but I
    couldn't find a clue on how it's done).
    For example, I have 2 columns: column A and column B. I want to set up
    a formula for the entire column B, that will divide any number that is
    entered in one of the column A cells by 10000.
    Hope I've made myself clear enough and that someone could help me on
    this.

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 Excel
    Johnny,
    in B1 put this formula =A1/10000 > OK

    Now double click on the little black square at the bottom right hand corner of cell B1, or click and drag it down as far as you need to go.

    If you have empty cells in column A you might like to change the formula to

    =IF(A1="","no data in column A",A1/10000)

    HTH.
    Last edited by greg7468; 07-06-2005 at 07:11 AM.
    Greg.

    "The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: a fomula for an entire column

    This is so quickly done by the fill handle:

    Or do you need a macro?
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com