the value of Text?

  1. #1
    Ohio, US
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003

    the value of Text?

    I Hope I'm just overlooking a stock standard way to do this, but:

    I'd like to find a fairly simple way to convert text in a cell to a numerical value, that I can then use as a checksum.
    I don't mean cells containing the word"one" would equal 1, but rather something like ("o"=15)+("n"=14)+("e"=5)=34
    I want to use it to help uniquely identify rows, so it has to be simple, or it will take too long to execute and be counter productive.

    Thanks,
    Kestrel
    ---------
    The difference between Theory and Practice is that, in Theory they are the same. In Practice, they aren't.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel1492
    I Hope I'm just overlooking a stock standard way to do this, but:

    I'd like to find a fairly simple way to convert text in a cell to a numerical value, that I can then use as a checksum.
    I don't mean cells containing the word"one" would equal 1, but rather something like ("o"=15)+("n"=14)+("e"=5)=34
    I want to use it to help uniquely identify rows, so it has to be simple, or it will take too long to execute and be counter productive.

    Thanks,
    Kestrel
    An easy way (as I see it) is to enter your addends in different cells. For example,

    A1 contains "o"=15
    A2 contains "n"=14
    A3 contains "e"=5

    and then, you can enter this formula in

    Cell B1: =value(right(A1,len(A1)-find("=",A1)))

    Next step is to copy the formula in B1 down to B3. In cell B4, you can enter this formula

    =sum(B1:B3)

    to get your desired result.

    I hope I interpreted your problem correctly.

    Regards.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  3. #3
    Ohio, US
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003
    Sorry,
    For clarification, each cell may contain as much as a full paragraph of text. An example of a cell would be:

    WHEN IN RAIN ALL RADIOS ARE UNREADABLE EXITING RAIN XMISSIONS TO THE A/C ARE READABLE

    Sorry, I should have said these are aircraft log entries, and sometimes long winded.

    Thanks,
    Kestel

  4. #4

    Re: the value of Text?

    If you put some single characters in column A and this in column B:

    =code(a1)
    (and drag down)

    You'll see that each character has a numeric representation.

    A = 65
    a = 97
    .. = 46

    Maybe you could use those codes to get your checksum.

    =SUMPRODUCT(CODE((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1))))

    or maybe better:

    =IF(A1="","",SUMPRODUCT(CODE((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))))

    Note that these will evaluate the same:

    ABCD
    DBCA
    ACBD
    (and so forth)

    But maybe it's close enough???

    ============
    Are you worried about having duplicates in your data?

    If yes, you may want to read Chip Pearson's treatise on Duplicates:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  5. #5
    Ohio, US
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003
    Ah, nice.

    I knew there had to be some kind of value function, Thanks Dave.

  6. #6

  7. #7

  8. #8

  9. #9