sorting whole numbers

  1. #1

    sorting whole numbers

    Could someone tell me how to sort out the whole numbers in a column of mixed numbers? (decimals and whole numbers )

    Thank you in advance,

    wstruse

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: sorting whole numbers

    One way:

    Assuming your numbers are in column A, in a free column, enter

    =ABS((A1-ROUND(A1,0))) < 1E-10

    and copy down. Sort on this column. The TRUE values are whole numbers.

    Adjust 1E-10 to be smaller than the precision of your values (e.g., if
    your values have a maximum of 2 places after the decimal point, you
    could, if you wanted to, use 1E-04 instead.

  3. #3

    Post Thank you

    JE McGimpsey,

    That worked great. I have over 800,000 cells to look through and you just saved me many hours of time.

    Thank you,

    William Struse

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: sorting whole numbers

    You could also use

    =INT(A1)+A1

    or

    =MOD(A1,1)=0

    RP

    "wstruse" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: sorting whole numbers

    Don't see how

    =INT(A1)+A1

    would work.

    The only problem with MOD(A1,1)=0 is that, for calculated values, a
    small rounding error gives a false negative.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips