counting diffeneces in range

  1. #1

    Cool counting diffeneces in range

    Is there a function which will count in a range of cells (text, i.e. state abbreviations) each time a new state abbreviation occurs?

    Thanks for any help with this, going crazy here...

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: counting diffeneces in range

    You want Unique records, yes?
    You can try this:

    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    "mallets123" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: counting diffeneces in range

    Some options...

    [A]

    =SUMPRODUCT((Range<>"")/COUNTIF(Range,Range&""))

    [B]

    =SUM(IF(Range<>"",1/(COUNTIF(Range,Range)))

    which must be confirmed with control+shift+enter.

    [C]

    =COUNTDIFF(Range,,"")

    which requires Longre's morefunc.xll add-in.

    mallets123 wrote:
    > Is there a function which will count in a range of cells (text, i.e.
    > state abbreviations) each time a new state abbreviation occurs?
    >
    > Thanks for any help with this, going crazy here...

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.

  4. #4

    Listing the differences text values

    Thanks for all of your help, I've got it to work like I want it, however I now need it to list these state abbreviations that are different in a series of cells.

    Basically my example is I have a groups that are traveling to different states. I've got excel counting how many different states were visited. Now I need excel to list them in a series of cells so I can count the total number of different states visited between several groups. Whoah....

    I'm using

    =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(F5:F8)>0,MATCH(F5:F8,F5:F8,0),""),IF(LEN(F5:F8)>0,MATCH(F5:F8,F5:F8,0),""))>0,1))

    this counts the different states incountered.

    If two groups are traveling in different time frames but I need to keep a cumulative total of different states visited, isn't it correct to list the states seperately somewhere where excel can count the total of both groups?

    Please help...

  5. #5
    Anne Troy

  6. #6