Excel and Word Bookmarks

  1. #1

    Excel and Word Bookmarks

    I am having an issue with putting text from Excel into Word bookmarks. I have a Word template built using bookmarks. Each record will fill in the whole template.
    For example: I set up an invoice using a Word template and each field of the invoice is a bookmark. Now say that each record (row) in an Excel worksheet corresponds to a seperate invoice. I want to print out all the invoices. So if my template is 1 page and I need 20 invoices then my final product would be 20 pages long.

    I have been filling in the template then copying and pasting it into a new document. Then I clear and replace all the bookmarks in the original template. Fill it in, then copy and paste it at the end of the other document.

    The process seems to take forever. Is there a way to make several copies of my template in one document and then name all of the bookmarks? Or something where I can just clear my bookmarks without redrawing them. It would be much better if I could do it with links. Any suggestions would be great!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel and Word Bookmarks

    Can't you make 20 separate invoices, one page each?

    An alternative solution, which seems to work pretty well, is a mail
    merge. I've never used it, but my wife uses it for our greeting card
    envelopes every December.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP