Concatenating Functions

  1. #1

    Concatenating Functions

    I have three (3) worksheets within a single workbook and am attempting to concatenate some fieilds from the first two (2) sheets and place them into the third sheet.

    This is what I have:

    WorkSheet1
    - NamedField1
    - NamedField2
    WorkSheet2
    - NamedField1
    - NamedField2
    WorkSheet3

    Within the first two sheets I have some fields that are named the same. In the third sheet I have to build my formula based upon some of the values within it which results in referrencing the necessary WorkSheet and Namedfield. In other words I am trying to build something like this in worksheet #3.

    =concatenate("='",A8,"'!NamedField",B2)

    A8 is a field within worksheet #3 with an actual value of WorkSheet1 or WorkSheet2.

    B2 is a field within worksheet #3 with an actual value range of 1-24.

    So the final result should be something like:

    ='WorkSheet1'!NamedField1

    or

    ='WorkSheet1'!NamedField2

    And it would then display the particular value that is within the referenced field(s).

    However, when I do use the =concatenate("='",A8,"'!NamedField",B2) I only get the concatenated result ='WorkSheet1'!NamedField2 and not the referenced field value.

    Anyone out there able to assist me with this?

    Thanks in advance!!!

    Michael

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Concatenating Functions

    One way:

    =INDIRECT("'" & A8 & "'!NamedField" & B2)

    In article <[email protected]>,
    neominds <[email protected]>

  3. #3
    Dave Breitenbach
    Guest

    RE: Concatenating Functions

    If I understand what you want, try using the indirect function.

    =indirect(concatenate("='",A8,"'!NamedField",B2))

  4. #4
    Don't put "quotes" around your named fields -- it thinks they're text.

    Your concatenate formula should work fine. You may need to add spaces " " to get it to read right . . .

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey

  6. #6
    Dave Breitenbach