cell displays formula

  1. #1
    New York

    cell displays formula

    Hello,

    I sometimes run into this phenomena where I change a formula or type in a new formula and suddenly Excel keeps displaying the formula instead of results.

    This usually happens with a few cells only, i.e. the majority of the cells just display regular results while only the few affected ones display the formulas.

    I am not in formula auditing mode, so I believe this is pretty much an Excel bug. But what can I do about it?

    Thanks,

    Peter

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: cell displays formula

    Peter, if the cell is formatted as text it will show the formula, could this
    be the case?

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    "pwermuth" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: cell displays formula

    Sometimes excel likes to help.

    Try this on a blank worksheet.
    Put today's date in A1 (ctrl-; will work)
    Put =A1 in B1

    That value in B1 was formatted as a date.

    Now format A2 as Text (format|Cells|number tab)
    put ASDF in A2
    put =A2 in B2
    You get the nice result.

    Now with B2 selected, hit F2, then enter (pretend you're editing the cell's
    formula).

    Excel saw the "sending" cell formatted as Text and changed B2 to Text.

    The only thing you can do is reformat the formula cell and then F2|Enter to make
    it a formula again.

    (You can't stop this behavior (as far as I know).)

  4. #4
    New York
    Fantastic. Thank you. I have run into this problem sporadically and never understood what was going on. I usually solved it by cutting and pasting from another cell but sometimes that wasn't an option so this really helps.

    Just entering F2 and Enter alone is not enough though. I needed to first revert the cell format back to General before doing that. Only then did it work.