still stuck: get filename from range

  1. #1

    still stuck: get filename from range

    I'm new at this. With much help from this forum I've almost finished a major timesaving macro for our lab. But stuck on following problem. I load a list of files that are in a worksheet and do a for-next loop on them,. Before closing each file I want to save it as an XLS file AND as a text file. I don't understand VBA syntax well enough to know how to get the filename for the filesave command.

    My code now:
    Sub File_Cut_Metrics()

    Dim wbList As Workbook
    Dim wbDest As Workbook
    Dim rcell As Range

    Set wbList = Workbooks.Open("G:\newlist2")
    For Each rcell In wbList.Sheets(1).Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Columns(1).Cells
    Set wbDest = Workbooks.Open(rcell.Value)

    NB: If I put in "Msgbox rcell" here it shows the correct filename

    do some stuff

    wbDest.Save

    wbDest.SaveAs Filename:=rcell, FileFormat:=xlText, CreateBackup:=False
    NOTE: sub'ing rcell.value for rcell above doesn't work either

    wbDest.Close savechanges:=False
    Next

    End Sub

    What do I need to change to send the right filename to the SaveAs statement?

    TIA,

    Rob
    Last edited by rroach; 07-14-2005 at 12:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: still stuck: get filename from range

    Rob,

    Do your file names on the sheet have .xls at the end?

    Perhaps:

    Wbdest.SaveAs Filename:=Substitute(RCell.Value, ".xls", ".txt"), FileFormat:=xlText

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...