Summing types with one formula

  1. #1

    Summing types with one formula

    I am having difficulty writing a formula to sum two different types of data in single formula. I know how to use an "if" statement to create another two columns and add this way, but I would like to use a vlookup, maybe?, or something to total. Below is a simplified version of what I am trying to get two different sums for. I need a total of "DIV"s and a total of "AP"s as well. Thank you for any assistance.

    Type Amount
    AP $1,050,100
    AP $249,500
    AP $99,200
    DIV $18,700
    AP $129,000
    AP $150,000
    AP $300,000
    AP $198,800
    DIV $28,100
    Last edited by citizens1stbank; 07-14-2005 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Didn't attach

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Summing types with one formula

    If your TYPE column is A and the AMOUNT column is B, they'll occupy
    rows 1 - 10 (including header). In A12 enter AP and in A13 enter DIV.
    In B12 try this formula:
    =SUMIF($A$2:$A$10,A12,$B$2:$B$10)
    .... and copy it into B13.

    If I can suggest, incorporate a checksum into the new totals to make
    sure they match the sum of B2:B10. This will alert you to anomalies.

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Summing types with one formula

    try
    =countif(A1:A100,"DIV",B1:B100)

  4. #4

    Sumif

    I knew that function, it had just been too long. Thanks a lot. The SUMIF worked great. COUNTIF didn't, however.