Cells as text not numbers???

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Cells as text not numbers???

    I have a file with a bunch of numbers on it and when I sum them up it returns 0. If i double click in each of the cells then the sum works.

    There are a few thousand cells so i can't doubleclick in each. How can I change them all at the same time?

    I tried formatting them all as a number and that didnt work. There is no ' before it either.

    thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Cells as text not numbers???

    Excel is seeing the numbers as text. There are some techniques here that
    you can use to convert the text to numbers, so they can be summed:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List