Quarterly tax percentages

  1. #1
    viz
    Guest

    Quarterly tax percentages

    Must be getting old - can't work this one out...

    Want to calculate a weekly PAYG (pay as you go) tax, based on a variable
    quarterly tax percentage...

    1st Quarter PAYG tax percantage 12.74%
    2nd Quarter PAYG tax percentage 13.12%
    3rd Quarter PAYG tax percentage 13.12%
    4th Quarter PAYG tax percentage 18.10%

    Examples:

    Pay Date Total Weekly Sales PAYG
    30/11/2004 2,257.40 296.17
    17/05/2005 2,574.58 466.00
    07/06/2005 3,180.21 575.62

    So when I enter the "Total Sales" figure, the formula matches the Pay Date
    to the appropriate quarterly PAYG tax percentage, multiplies the Total Sales
    by that percentage and puts it under PAYG.

    I hope that this is clear enough - I used to be able to do this at the drop
    of a hat, but now either the brain has slowed down or I have not had enough
    practice (probably both!).

    TIA

    /viz

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    Hi!

    I don't end up with the same PAYG results that you have posted:

    Dates = column A
    Sales = column B

    =IF(MONTH(A2)<=3,B2*0.1274,IF(MONTH(A2)<=9,B2*0.1312,B2*0.181))

    Copy down as needed.

    Biff

    news:BEFEDE49.2B58%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Gurgaon,India
    MS-Off Ver
    2007,2010,2013

    See the attachment.

    HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kris

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    Hi!

    Downloaded your sample file.

    What am I missing here?

    How does 11/30/2004 equate to the 2nd qtr?

    Is "PAYG" some type of accounting/financial calculation technique?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    viz
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    On 16/7/05 4:23 PM, in article [email protected], "Biff"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I don't end up with the same PAYG results that you have posted:
    >
    > Dates = column A
    > Sales = column B
    >
    > =IF(MONTH(A2)<=3,B2*0.1274,IF(MONTH(A2)<=9,B2*0.1312,B2*0.181))
    >
    > Copy down as needed.
    >
    > Biff

    H Biff - thanks for that. The PAYG might have differed from mine maybe
    because I accidentally left the error in the example. Silly me

    However I should have mentioned that the quarterly PAYG rates are variable,
    and I wanted the formula to point to a listing rather than have it nesting
    within the formula. I might play with your idea a little to see if I can
    modify I

    /viz

  6. #6
    viz
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    Hi,

    Getting this message:

    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify
    the webmaster

    Any other searches are proving fruitless. However thanks for the
    introduction to that site - I have now registered

    /viz

    On 16/7/05 5:06 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Krishnakumar"

  7. #7
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    Hi!

    You have to download the file directly from that site. Goto that site, then
    download.

    The sample file has the same results as you posted but I don't understand
    it. The formula is pretty straight forward but I don't get the logic.

    How does 11/30/2004 equate to the 2nd qtr?

    Biff

    news:BEFFE8ED.2D02%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    viz
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    On 17/7/05 4:23 AM, in article [email protected], "Biff"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Downloaded your sample file.
    >
    > What am I missing here?
    >
    > How does 11/30/2004 equate to the 2nd qtr?

    30th November 2004 is in the second quarter of the financial year in
    Australia - where I live Other countries have different financial/tax
    years - and different date formats. Australia is dd/mm/yy

    > Is "PAYG" some type of accounting/financial calculation technique?

    It is the tax system for self employed people (contractors like myself)
    where tax is Pay As You Go - tax is paid quarterly on earnings. In the old
    days, we had to pay provisional tax - tax paid in advance each quarter.

    HTH

    /viz

  9. #9
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    Ok, got it!

    Nov 30 is in the 2nd qtr of the fiscal year!

    Biff

    news:BEFFEF3A.2D9F%[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    PS -

    Then don't use my formula, it's based on the calendar year!

    That's why I got different results!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    viz
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    I got it! Lost a few neurons, but hey I've lost more to the demon alcohol...

    =IF(AND(B48>=$H$26,B48<=$I$26),C48*$J$26,IF(AND(B48>=$H$27,B48<=$I$27),C48*$
    J$27,IF(AND(B48>=$H$28,B48<=$I$28),C48*$J$28,IF(AND(B48>=$H$29,B48<=$I$29),C
    48*$J$29,""))))

    Thanks for all those who helped

    /viz

    On 17/7/05 11:19 AM, in article
    BEFFEF3A.2D9F%[email protected], "viz"

  12. #12
    viz
    Guest

    Re: Quarterly tax percentages

    On 17/7/05 11:43 AM, in article [email protected],
    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ok, got it!
    >
    > Nov 30 is in the 2nd qtr of the fiscal year!
    >
    > Biff

    LOL - my fault Biff. Forgot that we have a differing format...

    /viz

  13. #13
    Forum Contributor
    Gurgaon,India
    MS-Off Ver
    2007,2010,2013

    Your formula can be shortened like the following..

    =CHOOSE(MONTH(B48),0.1312,0.1312,0.1312,0.1312,0.181,0.181,0.181,0.1274,0.1274,0.1274,0.1312,0.1312)*C48