Truncated "y" axis label in chart

  1. #1

    Question Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    Hi guys
    I have a problem with Excel, the label on the “Y” axis appears truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

  2. #2
    Phil C
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    Hi

    This is a known problem and, last I heard, hadn't been properly fixed. I
    posted a similar question in July 04 ('clipping of y-axis label') and this
    was Jon Peltier response:

    "This is due to a combination of font size, zoom factor, screen resolution,
    and a few other monitor related parameters ("pixel aspect
    ratio"). It's frustrating because it isn't really predictable, and it isn't
    easy to get rid of.

    The standard workaround suggested here is to append a couple spaces and a
    period after the title text. Hide the period for those without this
    problem by formatting the last character's font color to match the
    background. Another option is to put the desired text into a text box
    formatted the way the title would have been.

    I understand that Microsoft is preparing an article for the knowledge base
    relating to this problem. I don't believe there's a more satisfying
    workaround than the one I just described"

    I haven't checked whether the KB article has now appeared. If is has,
    I'msure someone will give a pointer to it.

    HTH, Phil

    "flakkortin" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks Phil, if someone knows of the article for the knowledge base please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when clicking on top of it, it won't open the Excel spreadsheet.

  4. #4
    Echo S
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    "flakkortin" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
    > the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when

    Use Edit/Paste Special and choose a picture option.

    --
    Echo [MS PPT MVP]
    http://www.echosvoice.com

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    I've recently heard that some people have fixed the problem by updating
    video drivers.

    If it's any consolation, the problem seems to go away in print preview
    and in printed copy.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    Came across this today.

    flakkortin wrote:
    > Thanks Phil, if someone knows of the article for the knowledge base
    > please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
    > the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when
    > clicking on top of it, it won't open the Excel spreadsheet.

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  7. #7
    M Vincent
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    Unfortunately, the link did not solve my problem. I have searched all the
    newsgroups and have been unable to find an acceptable solution. The problem
    appears to occur both in Excel and PowerPoint. I do have a widescreen laptop
    monitor, and simultaneously drive an 4:3 external monitor. I constantly have
    problems with charts, especially the y-axis labels, but also problems where
    entire chart windows will change when the screen resolution is altered.
    (This happens with some regularity as I give PowerPoint presentations at
    dozens of locations, and occasionally the laptop screen will try to resize to
    be compatible with the projector) It apparently can cause font substition
    and other issues. I've tried using othe fonts, both true- and non true-type.
    Appending several spaces and a period (with the same font color as the
    background) does solve some problems with the y-axis, but not all. It seems
    this is a very prevalent problem with monitors that are not 4:3 proportions.
    Is there a fix on the horizon?

  8. #8
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    > Is there a fix on the horizon?
    Not that I know of but then that's not really saying a lot. The KB
    article is a year old and as far as I know a patch has not been issued
    so I would assume the fix is going to require something major like a new
    version of the OS or Office. Even then there's no guarantee's. But with
    the rise in wide screen usage I would have thought the problem would be
    addressed, eventually.

    Cheers
    Andy

  9. #9
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    I had a cut at the article a year ago, and was underwhelmed, because the
    problem has been occurring since long before the existence of any "wide
    screen display that has a greater width to height ratio than 4:3".

    Since then I've tried to help categorize conditions that lead to the
    problem, but since none of my machines are susceptible to the problem,
    it's hard to track down.

    Others have reported that updating their video or monitor drivers have
    helped (but some say it didn't help).

    The only saving grace is that these charts (seem to) display properly in
    print preview and on the printed page.

    - Jon
    -------

  10. #10
    M Vincent
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    Jon, I actually have more severe troubles than your message indicates.
    Frequently, even when printed, or viewed in print preview, axis labels will
    be clipped. I currently have my desktop "extended" across two monitors at
    different resolutions, which likely compounds the problem. I have very
    erratic success when I copy a figure from Excel and paste into Word or
    PowerPoint (or from PP into another PP presentation, etc). Even when
    "pasting/special/Enhanced Metafile" sometimes the image will be okay,
    sometimes it will be skewed or the axis truncated.
    The problem occurs even when I unhook the external monitor. I do recall the
    problem was much less severe on my old laptop with a standard screen and
    lower resolution. I've tried every combination of screen
    settings/fonts/other I can tolerate, but nothing will allow consistent
    results. Recently, I altered my screen resolution while having a PowerPoint
    chart active, and it altered the chart settings so dramatically that I could
    never recover a working chart.

    Sometimes my PowerPoint presentations can look perfect, I can email the
    final presentation to a client, and the axis labels will be trucated for him,
    both on his screen and in print. Pretty frustrating.

    I've tried updating video drivers with no change. Thanks for your thoughts,
    though.

  11. #11
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Truncated "y" axis label in chart

    M Vincent -

    > ... I have very erratic success when I copy a figure from Excel and paste
    > into Word or PowerPoint ... <

    Have you tried some of the Shift Edit | Copy Picture options?

    If you can get the embedded chart looking the way you want in Excel, select
    the chart (click just inside its outer border), hold down Shift and from the
    Edit menu choose Copy Picture. Try various options. Then paste into Word or
    PowerPoint.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com