Auto changing field trouble

  1. #1

    Auto changing field trouble

    This is probably a noob question, but what I want to do is to have a cell that has a range of different times. If that time is greater than 10, I want another cell to have its background color red, otherwise it's green (<10). I want it to be constantly checking so that I dont have run the macro everytime I update something for it to change. A little help on this would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Auto changing field trouble

    The feature "Conditional Formatting" is designed to do this type or thing.
    Choose the cell whose color you want to change and make the background red,
    then go to the Format menu, choose Conditional Formatting. In the dialog
    box, where it says "Cell Value Is" change it to "Formula Is".
    Type in a formula that gives a true or false result, for example:
    =$B$5<TIMEVALUE("00:10:00")
    (This will look at cell B5 and see if the value there is less than 10
    minutes - using actual time values, not just a numeric 10, but if you have a
    numeric 10 just put =$B$5<10, substituting the actual cell you want to check,
    of course)
    Then, you set the format the way you want with the Format... button - so use
    this to set a background pattern of yellow.

    You can have up to 3 conditions (in addition to the original default
    formatting in that cell) by using the Add... button.
    --
    - K Dales