Ranking

  1. #1
    Tim Sullivan
    Guest

    Ranking

    I have a column with 24 numbers. I want to rank them. Using the standard
    rank function works fine until one of the numbers is a negative.

    They way I want it to rank is as follow
    Rank Number
    1 -360
    2 -250
    3 75
    4 50
    5 22
    6 9
    7 4.5
    8 .06
    9 0

    The higher then negative number, the higher the rank. A negative number is
    ranked higher than a positive number. A low positive number is ranked lower
    than a high positive number. Does this make sense?????????

    Any help wopuld be appreciated
    --
    Tim
    Sorry about the duplicate post in another area

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Ranking

    It woeks fine on my computer
    if you put in a -360 and a plus 360 what do you get for a rank?
    If you close out of Excel and restart and on a new sheet put you numbers
    what do you get.

    I think you have at least a corrupted worksheet. Hopefully your Excel
    master is not corupted.

  3. #3
    Tim Sullivan
    Guest

    RE: Ranking

    Not corrupted did a new one and still does not give me what I want

    They way I want it to rank is as follows.
    > > Rank Number
    > > 1 -360
    > > 2 -250
    > > 3 75
    > > 4 50
    > > 5 22
    > > 6 9
    > > 7 4.5
    > > 8 .06
    > > 9 0

    As you can see the most negative number is the highest rank. and once
    positve the higher the positive number the higher the rank

    --
    Tim

  4. #4
    SVC
    Guest

    RE: Ranking

    I tried wwhat you did and got the same result.

    One possible solution: You could create a dummy column with the absolute
    value of your number (=ABS(XX)), then rank the absolute values. If you don't
    want to see the column of absolute values, hide the column.

  5. #5
    Tim Sullivan
    Guest

    RE: Ranking

    The ABS came up. The problem is a -250 should be ranked higher than +250,
    using ABS they are equal. The -250 Should be ranked higher than the +250. If
    there were a +300 thrown into the mix the ranking needs to be in this order,
    -250,300,250
    --
    Tim

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Assume A1:A9 is your data, try this:

    B1 = RANK(A1,A$1:A$9,1)+IF(A1>=0,2*(COUNTIF(A$1:A$9,">0")-RANK(A1,A$1:A$9,1)),0)

    Hope it helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan

  7. #7
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Ranking

    Assuming that A1:A19 contains your numbers, try...

    B1, copied down:

    =IF(A1>=0,RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$9)+COUNTIF($A$1:$A$9,"<0"),RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$9,1)
    )

    Hope this helps!

  8. #8
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Ranking

    Is this the way you want it to rank or the way it is ranking?

    I don't know what is happening, but a work around is to try a helper column
    with
    =A1-Min(A:A)
    copy down to the end of the data and rank the helper column.