using VLOOKUP to compare 2 columns to find new information

  1. #1
    Jessica
    Guest

    using VLOOKUP to compare 2 columns to find new information

    I have 2 worksheets, one of them contains a large number of accounts and then
    the second one has new figures that I can add to the first worksheet.
    Sometimes the second sheet will have new accounts on them but it is mixed in
    with the other 4,000 so its very difficult to find the new accounts. Right
    now I’m copying and pasting the account numbers and comparing them to the
    ones on the first sheet. Is there anything I can do to make searching for new
    accounts easier? Possibly using a VLOOKUP function to compare the account
    numbers to the ones on the master sheet to find new accounts?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Make a helper column at the end of your second sheet (the one that contains new accounts) and do this:

    =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!A$1:K$4000,0)),"new","") (Copy it down)

    Hope it helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: using VLOOKUP to compare 2 columns to find new information

    In the second worksheet, assuming the accounts are in column A, in column B,
    add

    =IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$A,B1)=0,"New","")

    and copy down

    will show the new accounts

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: using VLOOKUP to compare 2 columns to find new information

    Hi,

    Assuming data is in A3:A5 in sheet 1 and in A3:A5 of sheet 2 (Names1). In
    B1 of sheet 1, enter the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    =OR(EXACT(A3,Names1!$A$3:A5))

    The repeated ones will be called TRUE else FALSE

    Regards