Multiple columns in stack graph

  1. #1
    Amanda
    Guest

    Multiple columns in stack graph

    Hi,

    I have four pieces of data which I wish to stack in two columns, I can only
    manage to create a graph with one colum containing all four pieces of data.

    For example:
    North
    Rep1 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc
    Rep2 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc

    South
    Rep3 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc
    Rep4 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc

    By month, I would like to see two columns, one containing north and one
    containing south. (North is a stack of reps 1 & 2, south of reps 3 & 4).

    I hope this makes sense, and someone can help me.

    Thank you

    Amanda

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Multiple columns in stack graph

    Set up your data such that there are three rows (or columns) per month
    have one row be your north, one be south and one be blank.
    make a stacked column graph and set the width of the columns to 100 percent.

  3. #3
    Amanda
    Guest

    RE: Multiple columns in stack graph

    Hi,

    This doesn't allow me to show the four reps data? It stacks north and south
    twice, or have I misunderstood?

    Amanda

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Multiple columns in stack graph

    example
    A1="Month"
    B1= ""
    C1= "Rep1/3"
    D1= "Rep2/4"
    A2="Jan"
    B2="North"
    C2=rep1 value (Jan)
    D2=Rep2 value (Jan)
    A3="Jan"
    B3="South"
    C3=Rep3 value (Jan)
    D3=Rep4 value (Jan)
    A5="Feb"
    B5="North"
    C5=rep1 value (Feb)
    D5=Rep2 value (Feb)
    A6="Jan"
    B6="South"
    C6=Rep3 value (Feb)
    D3=Rep4 value (Feb)
    etc.
    This is four columns rather than 3 like I said before, but I added the
    north and south designators.
    Plot columns C and D as stacked chart and set the Width of the columns as
    one hundred %
    go to chart_source data_ series and in Catagorie X axis lables enter A2:B37
    (or however low you need to go

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple columns in stack graph

    It might be better to set up the data like this, in six columns:

    Rep 1 Rep 2 Rep 3 Rep 4
    Jan North 7 8
    South 3 3
    Feb North 5 3
    South 5 8
    Mar North 8 6
    South 7 6

    (read the above in non proportional font like Courier). All apparently empty cells
    must be blank. Select the entire range, including two blanks in top left, and make
    your stacked column chart. The blanks tell Excel to use Rep 1 through Rep 4 as
    series names and the month and region columns as a two-row category label. The
    different reps are each in their own series, so formatting individually is much easier.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  6. #6
    bj
    Guest

    Re: Multiple columns in stack graph

    I like Jon's method

  7. #7
    Amanda
    Guest

    Re: Multiple columns in stack graph

    Thats great - exactly what I was looking for.

    Thanks

    Amanda

  8. #8

    Stacked Chart - Multiple

    I dont understand this. Sorry to be ignorant. I have the data under following columns

    Country A Voice - Country B Voice - Country A Email - Country B Email

    and then these 4 columns headings have numbers under them By Month. let's say for Apr-May-Jun

    How do I get 2 stack columns side by side, showing Country A Voice & Country B Voice and the second stack next to it for Country A Email & Country B Email for April, then May and then June.

    Thanks

    /sa
    ~Sachin Attri~

  9. #9
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple columns in stack graph

    Set up your data like this:

    A-Voice B-Voice A-Email B-Email
    April 10 10
    8 12
    May 11 9
    9 11
    June 12 8
    10 10

    The rows with X in the first column have no values in the last four
    columns, and you should replace the X with a space (not a blank cell).
    Select the range and make a stacked column chart. Double click one of
    the columns, and on the Options tab, change Gap Width to zero. The blank
    rows provide gaps between certain pairs of stacks.

    - Jon
    -------