[SOLVED] Is there a function for a 'year to date' sum

  1. #1
    Mal
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Is there a function for a 'year to date' sum

    I am trying to build an automated 'year to date' column in a financial
    summary worksheet but don't want to have to update the formula each month (ie
    in month 6, sum cells A to F, then in month 7 change the formula to sum cells
    A to G). Is there a function (or group of functions) which will 'lookup' the
    current month e.g july and add up the contents of the cells in columns from A
    to G (Jan to July)? The following month when I input August in a given cell
    the function I'm looking for will recognise this and automatically add cells
    A to H (Jan to Aug).

    Hope this makes sense. Thanks in anticipation.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Is there a function for a 'year to date' sum

    Assuming the row you want to sum is the 10th row

    =SUM(OFFSET(A10,0,0,1,MONTH(TODAY())))

  3. #3
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Is there a function for a 'year to date' sum

    "Mal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I am trying to build an automated 'year to date' column in a financial
    > summary worksheet but don't want to have to update the formula each month
    > (ie
    > in month 6, sum cells A to F, then in month 7 change the formula to sum
    > cells
    > A to G).

    If you have a sheet with calendarised figures (ie each month in a separate
    column - and it's a very good analysis tool to do that anyway) and a total
    in rows for the twelve months, then the YTD is done automatically, because
    all future months are blank! No need for any "automation"!

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Systems and Management Accounting

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    San Diego, CA
    Hello Mal:

    Cell M1 is todays date ( 7/20/2005 ).

    =SUM(INDIRECT("A:"&CHOOSE(MONTH(M1),"A","B","C","D","E","F","G","H","I","J","K","L")))

    Matt