Forms Toolbar Button question

  1. #1

    Forms Toolbar Button question

    I have a button on my worksheet created from the forms toolbar.

    How do I access the button through VBA?

    sheets(1).Item???

    Also I would just like to make it invisible and/or disable it.
    Which property would I use?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    the button you have created is a Shape and can be referenced as such. (see Excel Help for Shapes collection to find the available properties. (your code is in general :

    Sheet(1).Shapes("button1").

    i.e. to set as 'not visible'

    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Button 1").Visible = False

    not sure that you can disable these shapes but you could handle this requirement in the macro that is called via the 'OnAction' property

    You could also create a button from the Control Toolbox toolbar; in this case you would have all of the functionality but with the benefits of being able to directly access the properties associated with a contol rather than the slightly more complex code associated with a shape. These Controls are also locked when not in Design Mode so that you can prevent user changes (to formatting etc). these Controls do have an Enabled property that can be set to false.

    find the Controls Toolbox by displaying the Visual Basic Toolbar and click on the Control Toolbox button (or other routes...).

    Control Buttons on worksheets can be seen as a bit of a hammer to crack a nut but the access to properties and events is generally useful. Rather than assigning a macro to run when the button is clicked {onAction}, right-click on the button in Design Mode and select Code from the menu; this displays the default event ( _Click) - place your code here; or call another routine using the Call statement ...

    Have fun.
    Last edited by optionbase1; 07-20-2005 at 07:19 PM.

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Forms Toolbar Button question

    One way:

    To access the button:

    Sheets(1).Buttons("myButton").Caption = "My Caption"

    Invisible:

    Sheets(1).Buttons("myButton").Visible = False

    Disabled:

    Sheets(1).Buttons("myButton").Enabled = False

    In article <[email protected]>,
    reddog9069 <[email protected]>

  4. #4
    Thanks for all your help.

  5. #5
    thanks for that (JE McGimpsey); I didn't know that object existed & when I search for the object in Help it shows :

    "Hidden Language Element
    You have requested Help for a language element that is hidden, and therefore unavailable for programmatic access. "

    any idea why?

    Are there other objects that are 'hidden' in this way and if so how do I access information on them and their properties / methods / events?

    Thanks for the help anyway!