XL doesn't save changes

  1. #1

    XL doesn't save changes

    When I make changes to an excel document and save it, it doesn't overwrite the file, but instead creates another file with only numbers, that cannot be deleted or renamed. The second file's icon is changed into a "file" icon instead of showing an excel "file" icon.

    This is an XP workstation, using office 2000, security on file is ok, user is included in this file's security. I do get an error msg that there is not enough space on disk, but file is on server with 7TB free (file = 315kb).

    I've searched the windows office knowledge database, but cannot find any link to this problem.

    Someone has an idea?

    Thanks,

    MCR

  2. #2
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: XL doesn't save changes

    Hi

    I may be way off the track here, but it sounds to me as if you have a macro
    saving the file as a text file?

    Press<Alt><F11>, and look if you have any macro's recorded in this workbook.
    Look in This Workbook, the Worksheets and the Modules if any.

    --
    [email protected]ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: XL doesn't save changes

    MCR,

    When Excel saves, it first saves a temporary copy with a name like you
    describe. When that is successful, it deletes the old file, and renames the
    temporary file. This is to keep your original file from getting trashed
    should the save not be successful. It sounds as if the process isn't
    finishing for some reason. Try turning off your antivirus scan for a
    moment.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com