Password Protection on Workbooks

  1. #1

    Password Protection on Workbooks

    Hi,

    I set a password on a file I needed for university and now cannot remember the password.

    I have tried all the usual things I would set it to but no luck.

    I desperately need to get into the file.

    I have tried several different programs found in Google and have failed miserably.

    Is this mission impossible?

    Please help?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection on Workbooks

    Take a look here:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

  3. #3
    Hi

    Thanks for the quick response.

    Its very interesting reading but I'm still no closer to finding out my password.

    Have I missed the obvious?

    Please help

    P.S. when i open the file the password box appears so cannot "save as" to obtain the info.

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection on Workbooks

    In article <[email protected]>,
    xirokx <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Its very interesting reading but I'm still no closer to finding out my
    > password.
    >
    > Have I missed the obvious?

    Probably. Did you see

    > relatively inexpensive commercial password crackers are available,
    > either as stand-alone applications (all for Windows, currently) or as
    > a service that you send the workbook to.

    AFAIK, there are no robust freeware password crackers. The links I list
    on that page can take you to commercial sites that will either break
    your password for a fee or allow you to purchase a password cracker.

  5. #5
    Thanks for your help its most appreciated

    decryptum is very good it actually showed me part of the file but its expensive for a poor student like me

    alternatively the other programs are around $45 as well

    is there no way of doing this for free - am i stuffed?

    please continue to help

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection on Workbooks

    AFAIK, you're stuffed. There may be freeware crackers out there (do a
    google search), but I generally would trust freeware hackers even less
    than I would trust hackers who ask for your credit card number.