date fix

  1. #1

    Exclamation date fix

    hi everyone.. can anyone tell me how to change the date format in Excel.. I tried going to Format then cells and changing the format to Date but it's not working... I'm pulling the date from an online program and the date comes in as 20050507 instead of 05/07/2005... If anyone can help me with this i would be oh so greatful... thank you

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: date fix

    You can parse this in another cell using MID, RIGHT, and LEFT
    functions. Assuming your 20050507 is in cell A1, the formula is
    =mid(A1,5,2)&"/"&right(A1,2)&"/"&left(A1,4)

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: date fix

    Data/Text to Columns/Next/Next select YMD from the Date dropdown and
    click Finish.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    bustanutti21

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: date fix

    Hi!

    Try this....

    Select the range of "dates".

    Goto Data>Text to Columns

    Click Next, Next

    In the dialog up near the top right you'll see: Column data format

    Select Date

    Then from the drop down select one of the formats that starts with a "Y"
    (for year). Either YMD for year month day or YDM for year day month.

    Click Finish

    Biff

    "bustanutti21" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...