how do I sum only visible data in a column

  1. #1
    Afolabi
    Guest

    how do I sum only visible data in a column

    I have some rows manually hidden, Please is there a formula I can apply to
    return the sum of the unhidden data contain in a column?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Depending upon your needs, there is a Copy of visible only cells, click Edit, Go To, select Visible Cells, then select the range and paste.
    This new range can then be totalled.

    Otherwise . . I think it's a little VBA code

  3. #3
    KL
    Guest

    Re: how do I sum only visible data in a column

    Hi Afolabi,

    If you don't want to use VBA (create a UDF), you could review the following
    pages:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/ExcelNames08.htm
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/ExcelNames09.htm

    In any case, there is a fundamental issue with both approaches: since
    hiding/unhiding rows doesn't trigger any event, such event will have to be
    forced from time to time, or maybe you can leave with the formulae updating
    their result in the next recalculation of the sheet.

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: how do I sum only visible data in a column

    If you're using xl2003, you can use =subtotal(). This worksheet function has
    been enhanced to include options to ignore manually hidden rows.

    =subtotal(109,a2:a22)

    for instance.